Get ready for that big holiday dinner by making a batch of cranberry-orange sauce. Fresh and citrusy this sauce is naturally thickened without pectin or gelatin. It smells wonderfully fragrant while on the stove top.
This recipe is from my mother’s treasure of recipes. She has been making it for years and it is always a hit at our family dinners.
This sauce can be easily be made ahead and stored in the freezer.
Ready in: 25 minutes
Makes: 24 servings
- 1 – 625 g bag of frozen cranberries that have been thawed. Fresh cranberries can be used in place of frozen.
- 2 cups (500 mL) orange juice
- 2 cups (500 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Zest of 1 orange
- Combine all ingredients into a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer on low heat, uncovered and stirring occasionally. Let cook for about 1 hour or until the sauce has thickened.
- Taste the sauce for sweetness and adjust to your taste.
- Let sauce cool and store in a container in the fridge.
By Rachel Morgan