This versatile BBQ sauce can be used on the grill, as a marinade for tofu or vegetables or as a sauce for shredded chicken.
Many homemade BBQ sauce recipes call for commercial ketchup. This one uses crushed tomatoes as the base. With the added honey and spices it has a sweet, tangy taste.
Recipe of the month: Simple BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp mustard (Dijon or yellow mustard)
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) honey
- 1 cup crushed, canned tomatoes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) seasoning salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
- Black pepper, to taste
- Add vegetable oil to pot.
- Cook garlic and onion until tender.
- Add all other ingredients to pot.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 30 minutes. Leave the lid partially on to reduce mess.
Recipe adapted from: http://www.food.com/recipe/barbecue-sauce-no-ketchup-482219
By Rachel Morgan